In January 2015, a user under the alias user48736353001 uploaded over 100 tracks to Soundcloud.
A huge number of these were extremely familiar to AFX fans; many early versions of released tracks, high quality versions of unreleased tracks, as well as previously-unheard tracks and experiments.
Most notable are —
- Tracks only seen listed on old cassettes given to RDJ’s friends in the early 90’s (eg — Human Rotation, X-Ray, S.O.T.T.G.T.B.A.G.)
- A large number of Selected Ambient Works Vol.1 (SAW1) era tracks
- High quality recordings of unreleased (John) Peel (Radio) Session material
- High quality recordings of tracks from his legendary Orbit (Leeds) live appearance in 1991
- Filenames and Tags within files suggesting the existence of ‘Analogue Bubblebath 6’
- An early version of Aphex Twin ‘4’ (entitled ‘5’)
- A remix of Donkey Rhubarb
- A ‘dark’ version of Girl/Boy (which has since been removed from the Soundcloud page, possibly due to legal issues with the original WARP release)
- Many early versions of familiar released tracks
RareAFX is of the opinion that a small number of the tracks are not AFX material. These have been noted or flagged with a [?]
A-Z list by filename (with prefixed numbers and affixed Souncloud characters removed) —
- ∂ƒ∆ [rough mix] (3,54)
- ∂ƒx 126b (6,28)
Hints of Acrid Avid Jamshred (1995)
- 07 B (3,55) – RareAFX does not believe this is a genuine Aphex track
- 1st bank Trac (3,08)
One of RDJ’s most clearly Drexciyan style tracks
- 2tone[camborne college mix] (1989-1990) (6,44)
Traces of SAW1 in here. Camborne is a town in Cornwall.
- 32 (untitled) (4,24) – RareAFX does not believe this is a genuine Aphex track
- 5 [demo] (3,09)
Early version of 4 from Richard D. James LP
- 70 s Tune (4,22)
Small hints at Melodies from Mars
- ACH (1993) (7,38)
Unreleased Caustic Window track as heard on Youtube clip ‘Live at the Trout, Windsor’
- Acid Misc (1993) (3,05)
Possibly heard with the Orbit (Leeds, 1993) live set (TBC)
- Afx 71 1 (1994) (0,44) [?]
- Afx origTheme (1990) (5,01)
Very Surfing on Sine Waves feel, includes SOSW robot voice saying ‘Aphex Twin’
- Alis Trak[brain floss mix] (4,16)
- Archponf (1991-1992) (2,39)
- barbarella on microdots (4,33)
- Bcr78 (7,23)
Quite ‘Mike n Rich’ in it’s sound
- Bellbrk (1989-1991) (6,06)
Unremarkable breakbeat sample becomes remarkable with early eerie Aphex strings
- Bicycle Wheel (9,10)
- Bimbongo (1989-1990) (3,14)
Possibly the closest to SAW1 material within this list – the original Delphium?
- Bpjdrop Forge [pump up the jam mix] (6,38)
- Bradley Jam Pump (5,35)
Uses familiar Bradley Stryder style percussion and strings
- Catsquidge2 (1991-1992) (2,55)
- Chink 101 (5,38)
Lush unheard Aphex classic. Chink may refer to its Chinese-style melody line.
- Clapstab Ab6 (4,16)
Faster-played version of Track 4 from AFX Tape Trax
- CooltempoDemo (1990-1991) (4,14)
- Cutting (3,56)
Contains early elements of Bucephalus Bouncing Ball
- Dance And Play (1989-1990) (5,10)
Another fantastic reject from SAW1? Contains beat sounds from Tha.
- Dance2thebeat (1990-1991) (4,25)
- Donkey Rhubarb Remix (4,26)
A very playful, high-timbre remix of DR
- DroneBReak (1989-1990) (4,41)
As heard on AFX Tape Trax
- Dual Acid Ab6 (4,36)
- Early Morning Clissold (5,55)
Clissold is an area of Stoke Newington, London. Note there is a [slo] version of this track titled [SLO]w Early Morning Clissold Sunrise
- ep string (1989-1990) (6,32)
Quite 808 State inspired in feel
- Fly Beats (1994) (6,04)
Awesome Caustic Window style filtered percussion experiment.
- Fnkmg (6,41)
Wonderfully playful, funky track – very similiar in feel to Melodies from Mars material
- Forgotten T (5,32)
- Fork Rave (1989-1991) (4,07)
Possibly the closest to pure rave material created by RDJ
- Fresher + Cleaner (1990) (6,28)
As heard on AFX Tape Trax. Sister track to Tamphex?
- funnel (1994) (3,57)
Includes some sounds similiar to ‘shiny metal rods’ from SAWII (same year)
- gerald Remix (5,25)
Starts as an almost direct copy of A Guy called Geralds’ seminal ‘Rhythm of Life’ before mutating into another genuine unheard Aphex classic.
- Girl Boy Dark Version (5,25)
Fantastically twisted version of Girl/Boy. This has since been removed from the Soundcloud page, possibly due to legal issues with the original WARP release.
- glockenspiel TEAC (1991) (3,47)
(note: TEAC is a brand of audio cassette)
- GPO Beat (1990) (1,59)
Original beat used on Caustic Window Fantasia
- Hapshifter1 (6,13)
Track 2 from Analogue Bubblebath 5
- High Hats Tune Tamclap Orig (6,26)
Some similiar FX to ‘On’
- Hollow Alias Ab6 (2,14)
- How Much I Wanted You (1990-1991) (5,32)
Features a small snippet of ‘Come on you slags!’ beat at 2.37. The vocal sample ‘How much I wanted you’ may also be from the same porn movie as featured in COYS.
- How To Science Ab6 (3,46)
- How To Science 2 Ab6 (4,50)
- Human Rotation (1990-1991) (4,40)
A true gem. Includes the Joyrex J5 beat, and a phlanged sample of Julie Andrews (!!) As seen on cassettes given to friends in early 90’s.
- Japan (11,22)
Alternative, less-well produced edit of Polygon Window remix of (Japanese) Softballets’ ‘Sand Lowe’
- Kids Beach (1989-1990) (4,56)
- Knife Fork Freq (1990-1992) (4,31)
- Lanner B4 Ardkore (1990) (0,53)
Contains a 2-bar sample of ‘Phlange Phace’ beat
- Lannerlush Full (2,58)
Could this track have been the inspiration to Luke Viberts’ Kerrier District series?
- leeds orbit[live] (1993) (5,34)
S t a g g e r i n g arterial acid track, possibly heard within his Orbit (Leeds) set – tbc
- lsb [slo] (4,05)
- Lush Ambulance 2 (1994) (5,05) [?]
- Make A Baby (2,27)
Pre-cursor to ‘Every Day’ and again using a sample from BBC’s ‘Children Talking’ record.
- Martins Car LPF (5,35)
Predecessor to Ptolemy?
- Mental Telepathy (4,45)
Track title seen on cassettes given out by RDJ in the early ’90s
- Metal Beat (0,57)
Very close predecessor to Come to Daddy (Mummy Mix)
- Moodular Acid[pissflaps mix] (1993) (6,58)
More sublime arterial acid from Orbit (Leeds) set
- moodular3[live gig] (1993) (3,55)
Early track from Orbit (Leeds) set
- mooow [Dixons Theft mix] (1989-1990) (4,31)
Another SAW1-sounding track which isn’t ambient. The 4:51 version was only longer because it had a glitch towards the end which repeated a section. Was later removed and replaced with the corrected track.
- nocares (2,49)
Lovely but simple ambient track which contains delayed melodies similiar to SAWII’s ‘Domino’
- Nova Robotiks (1,28)
- Ny Groove (1994) (4,11) [?]
Surprisingly different style from RDJ
- organ (7,25)
Another genuine unheard Aphex classic ; lengthy and with an off-kilter latter section, some MfM touches, it’s from the 4.00 mark the arpeggiated sequences get you…
- Original Chaos Riff (5,13)
Is this riff the original inspiration to AB4’s Cuckoo melody?
- P – String (1995) (7,07)
Absolute stunning classic Aphex material — high quality version for the first time, originally aired on John Peel Session in 1995
- P.e. (1990) (7,20)
- Parking Lot (1988-1989) (6,20)
Another reject from SAW1? Early version of Delphium?
- PCP 2 [unreleased Version] (3,39)
- Pearls (5,59)
Another unheard classic. ‘I Care Because You Do’ era?
- Phlangebeat (1994) (4,36)
As heard on AFX Tape Trax, also a predecessor for Ventolin EP material
- Phuqed Up (1994) (1,18)
As heard on AFX Tape Trax
- Pink Floyd (4,49)
- Plinky Plonk[orig] (5,59)
- Plinkyplonk (1990-1991) (4,16)
- Pump The Shit (1991) (4,16)
- Quad Rave TEAC (1991-1992) (4,55)
(note: TEAC is a brand of audio cassette)
- Red Alert (4,47)
- Red Calx (2,50)
- Red Calx[slo] (5,41)
- Renalgade Sonar (1989-1990) (3,30)
Features an excerpt from Kraftwerk’s ‘Uranium’ at the start of the track.
- Rough Beat Tune (7.25)
Percussion/sound palette very similiar to Acrid Avid Jamshred (suggesting the 89-90 timeframe is inaccurate)
- SallyVingoe (1989) (5,48)
- Sams Car (5,01)
An early Ageispolis? Superb.
- Shit Smothered (2,18)
AA1 side track from Analogue Bubblebath 3.1 EP
- Short Mental Afx (1993) (0,24)
Predecessor of AFX 6/b?
- sline (9,35)
Fascinating. Slow and rambling. Sline maybe shortened ‘Bassline’. May now have the title “jap flute energy rave” when downloaded.
- Slo Bird Whistle[peel Sesh] (1995) (3,33)
As heard on 1995 John Peel radio session
- [Slo]w Early Morning Clissold Sunrise (4,48)
Note there is another version of this track titled ‘Early Morning Clissold’
- SomewhereOTTGTBAG (5,42)
As listed on 1990-era cassettes given out to friends
- Space Beat (5,05)
Aphex Twin mix of Buck Tick ‘In the Glitter Pt.2’ (previously released)
- Squalitude Acid (6,02)
Savage Caustic Window-esque material
- Square Dance (2,02)
- Ssnb (5,53)
- Step Up To Cornwall (4,09)
- Suzanne (3,49)
Another SAW1 era track, lovely
- Symbonsad (1989-1990) (4,14)
Slightly slower version of Q-Chastic CAT 002 from Philoshopy of Sound & Machine CD
- ThnxU4letinMeStyWitU (1990) (1,36)
- Twister (1994) (1,06)
Demented Caustic Window style track
- Utopia (7,20)
Another hidden gem, with a tearse percussion line
- Vocoder Disco (1994) (3,30) [?]
- Vtnm (1993-1994) (3,16)
- Vtnm2 (1993-1994) (4,28)
Superb microtuned eeriness, as played by RDJ during post-2000 DJ Set (year TBC)
- Wagon Christ – Sci-Fi Staircase (Future Music competition) (Aphex Twin Remix) (5,05) (2004)
The actual FM competition winning track. Appears to have been removed from the Soundcloud page since its original upload.
- With My Family (4,11)
Simple SAW1-era material, features bassline melody near-identical to Ageispolis
- World Waver AB6 (2,45)
As heard on Afx Tape Trax
- X – Rays (1990-1991) (2,31)
As listed on 1990-era cassettes given out to friends. Almost Caustic Window material.
- Xame Filtered (1993) (5,44)